Every year, the Victoria’s Secret models parade around in nothing but bras and lace panties with their impossibly long legs, thin waists, yet incredibly large boobs, for the annual Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. The show presents these women strutting down the runway for women to stare in admiration and the men, of course, "enjoying the view" or in other words, drooling over them.
Victoria’s Secret models have been a controversial topic for a long time. So why is it that the figure these models have are completely different from the typical American woman? Most people would ignore the fact that these women are extremely skinny, maybe even unhealthy skinny because the media portrays gender stereotypes of women as being perfect but yet unrealistic. To be more specific, the physical expectation society has on women is to be skinny, flawless, have big boobs, a thigh gap and a nice butt. As women everywhere watch the model show, mesmerized by these gorgeous VS Angels, they can’t help but ask their selves, “Why can’t I look like that?” "She makes me feel fat." "I wish I was that perfect."
Victoria’s Secret models are represented as women who embrace their figures, feel confident and sexy in their own skin. The sad thing is, no matter what these women say, the women who look up to them still are taking the wrong route when it comes to achieving that body image.
The pressures to accomplish an idealistic body has definitely caused serious physical and mental health issues. Aside from comparing themselves to the models, women feel even more stress to attain that desired body image. The poisonous blend of the media, advertisements and celebrity culture plays a part in the influence on body image in society. This pressure is killing women’s self-esteem, pretty much forcing women into going on diets, over working out, and even eating less than their food intake in order to change their body shape.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the VS brand since I own quite a few of their bras and I enjoy the shows. But sadly, they still have a lot of problems that can easily be solved.
I love that a lot has changed in the model industry in general the past few years. More companies are allowing women in the model industry who have a natural figure, for instance, Dear Kate. Dear Kate is an underwear company for women of all shapes and sizes. What I really love about this company is that it presents such a body positive atmosphere.
I remember the media exploding over Dear Kate responding to Victoria’s Secret’s “perfect body” campaign back in 2014 with an awesome letter and counter picture promoting body diversity.
“Through this photo, we showcase women who are often neglected by the media and traditional retailers. We show the multitude of shapes perfect bodies can take.” - Dear Kate .
Companies like Dear Kate are changing a lot for women and their portrayal on the media. I think that the more we become body diverse, the better our self esteems and all around health will be.




This is similar to the article The pornography of everyday life written by Jane Caputi. in the article Caputi mentions that the depictions of women are not generally perceived as humiliating, torturous or spirt breaking but as seen as sexy. Caputi writes how in advertising especially with couples the man in the couple is depicted as taller, stronger. While the woman in the couple is depicted having glazed eyes unsteady due to the shoes she has she is seen as put down or shown against a wall she is shorter and weaker. It seems men appeal to women that are younger and sexier. I agree with the point that you make that women who view these kinds of advertisings may feel insecure about themselves that they don’t fell sexy as the model. It is time for women to fell confident in the way they look without the need to be sexy. Work cited: Gender, Race, and Class in Media page 373-385
ReplyDeleteEvery year for the last 4 years my best friends and I get together to watch the fashion show. That's the night our confidence levels drop 100 points. We talk about what we would change out ourselves, what we hate about ourselves and what we wish we had. I don't have a problem with the models because all women are shaped differently. I would just like to see more diversity among the brand. If you look at the catalog or the runway models none of them are above a size 4. The average size women in the States wears a size 10 so why are these women the standard of beauty? Are these models gorgeous, absolutely but not all women look like this. Victoria Secret Angels are the epitome of beauty so are they saying ladies who are above a size 4 are not beautiful? The brand likes to promote women being confident and proud in their own skin but isn't that hard for women who are not being represented as beautiful on TV. The brand just needs to be more inclusive and acknowledge the roles they play in many people's lives. Customers of all sizes buy from Victoria Secrets so why are they not represented on the fashion show or in the catalog?
ReplyDelete